Thursday, July 12, 2012

My Favorite Granola Recipe

This is our new favorite breakfast cereal.  And considering that Zach's previous favorite cereal was Quaker Oatmeal Squares ($5.99 for a surprisingly small box) this is a much cheaper (and healthier) option.  I've adapted this recipe from the one listed on this site.

For any of you that have never made granola before, let me tell you, this is one of the easiest things in the world.  And this recipe makes so much that it's well worth the effort. 

Ingredients:

5 cups rolled oats
1 cup raw sliced almonds (so glad I have a Trader Joe's!)
1 cup raw cashew pieces
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut.  I don't always include this, but it gives it a nice texture when I do.
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons salted butter
3 tablespoons coconut oil (you can adjust the butter and oil ratio, I don't really measure anymore, but this is what I think I'm using)
1/3 cup honey (or less depending on how sweet you want it)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
parchment paper (not wax paper, that was a nightmare)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. 
Cover a rectangular baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix the dry oats, almonds, cashews, coconut, seeds and spices together in a large mixing bowl.
Heat the butter, coconut oil, and honey together in a small saucepan over low heat. Once the butter melts stir in the vanilla.


Mix the liquids in with the oats, stir using a spatula until everything gets even looking.
Spread mixture evenly onto prepared pan. Bake for 75 minutes.


I've heard of some people accidentally burning granola.  I've never had that happen and I set my oven to a little over 250 since it seems to run cool.  My last oven ran hot, chances are you know your oven, so adjust accordingly. 

Let the granola cool (it will crisp as it does).  Once it has cooled completely transfer to an airtight container.  I've heard that it will last for 2 weeks...but that doesn't happen in our house, it's eaten way before then.



No comments:

share this