Wednesday, August 20, 2008

bicycles and digitals?

A few weeks ago I had an art show opening. It was about as classy as I expected it to be. In looking for shows to participate in I noticed that they all have a theme, like "miniature art" or "art by the river" or "watercolor landscape", this one was "compositional challenge" meaning that everything had to be on a square, circle, or oval surface.....I don't really know why that's a "challenge", but I was painting things on squares anyway, so whatever. This particular show let everything that fit the criteria in, so there were some that were...well, not so great. Some were really good, like the one with metal fish. There were far too many paintings of flowers, I'm guessing that's because the average age of show participants was 65. But I would much rather look at pictures of flowers than Charley's "digitals". Charley was an older man, but not old enough to excuse his work. He came to the opening dressed in a nice collared shirt....with mickey mouse embroidered on the back...and wanted to tell everyone about his "digitals" and how he used a "transparent layer!" in photoshop....just because you can play with photoshop doesn't mean you should...it was seriously painful, and I only wish that Darcy was there so I would have someone with me to understand how awful they were.

So that was my first Denver art show...at least I participated in something...and I'm taking a small victory in that my work didn't look like anyone else's, so at least I was unique.

Zach and I went to Vail a few weekends ago, his grandma has a time share so his family was up there. We went for the day and rented bicycles and rode around the town. It was SO much fun, and a great break from the heat, like a mini vacation. It also makes me wish I had a bicycle, with a bell, and a basket. It was so weird to see Vail without snow, it's such a cute little town. We had the best pizza ever at the Blue Moose, and saw the cutest puppy with the biggest ears I've ever seen.






oh ya! I almost forgot to mention my second art show! a solo exhibition, as it will appear on my artists resume. I had to undecorate my apartment in order to have something to display though.

No comments:

share this